Saturday, February 26, 2011

Latest Musings

I teased you last time. I mentioned all this food I had cooked, but I didn't have a single photo to document it. Well, I did have photos, but I couldn't find them at the time. So here they are.

 I was (suddenly) inspired by some recipes in the Pioneer Woman cookbook. Not sure why because I have owned this cookbook for awhile and it hasn't inspired me in a long time. I can't say I have made more than a couple of dishes from the book. It's not that I don't adore the PW's recipes, but I have a tendency to surf her website or Tasty Kitchen before I reach for the book. But there I was, my heart quickening at the thought of chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. So I dove in. Of course, I don't remember to take pictures at the right times, if at all, so these are pretty random.

For whatever reason, I was compelled to take (and then convert to B&W) a photo of her book. Beats me why.




This is the chicken fried steak station, before the main attraction debuted from the frig. You can see the spuds cut in the background for mashed potatoes.

 












This is the CFS all breaded and ready to be cooked. Strangely (or not so much if you know me), there are no photos of the finished product nor the gravy.

 












Here are the potatoes. Finished. No photos of anything in between (other than the fact that they appear in the background in a photo above.) I used Yukon Gold potatoes in case anyone is wondering.

 



This is sopapilla cheesecake. It is not a recipe from PW, but from a friend at work. This is a fiendishly delicious cake/pie/dessert/whatever. Anything with a stick of butter, two blocks of cream cheese and two containers of crescent roll dough is bound to be sinful.


Over all this menu was pretty easy, if a bit time consuming. Definitely a Sunday dinner kind of thing rather than a week night meal, and part of that was due to the fact that things had to happen in stages. No one stage was hard, but there were parts of it that couldn't happen until another part was completely done. Oh, and it was messy. Clean up wasn't difficult per se, but there was grease everywhere from the frying, plus flour, eggs, etc., so it was time consuming as well.


In other news, my sweetie (see that handsome man below?) bought be an external flash for my camera for Valentine's Day. So I tested it out. On him first, of course. Curses on the crazy white balance in the kitchen. It rivals that of the bathroom.






Then we met my sister for dinner at the kids' favorite Mexican restaurant, so I tested it out there too. This is little one with her balloon monkey. She was having a rough day so no happy face for you.



This is the older one. She is currently fascinated with the macabre, so this was her attempt (and but one frame of many photos) at making a stop-motion film about stabbing her hand.



And I let my little one take a pic of me. She likes to fill the frame. Can you tell? Despite the fact that my nose is the most prominent feature in the photo, I kind of like this shot.


Oh, and I took a few random shots in my office. Here is one of the things you will always find on my desk.


Last are these photos. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the flash, but they are pretty random.



Before I go, I will make one more statement about the shower. Not surprisingly, it is still totally and completely amazing. We love it, and it was very much worth the burdens.

Stay tuned for storage shed construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment