Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Do I look cold to you? And other musings about winter and remodeling...

So... how cold does it look in this photo?

How about this one?


Or this one?


Does my poor, forlorn little banana tree give you any clue?



And yes, I know it is cold all over the great U.S. right now, and pretty much every one except the folks in Key West have cause to complain, but this is my blog so I will complain.

Holy! Cow! and Great! Googly! Moogly! It is freakin' cold here. The Houston-area, land of the mild winters, is currently going into day two of near-freezing daytime temps, with a second night of well-below freezing temps (and rolling blackouts) just hours away. Soon to be followed by another cold-ass day, and then another freezing night with the only thing different being... precipitation! Yes, folks. The Houston-area is expected to get freezing rain/sleet/snow late Thursday and into Friday morning.

What's the big deal you say? Well, personally, I don't care if it does freezing rain/sleet/snow. As long as I am at home and not at work or out and about. This whole city loses its mind when we get rain + freezing temps + snow. The city basically shuts down, every driver on the road suddenly can't remember to do anything except go i n c r e d i b l y slowly, and everyone runs (screaming) from their respective places of employment in an effort to get home quickly (except for the part where they drive slow).

It is my fervent wish that Thursday's forecast comes true but it needs to be early enough for the slow-to-react school systems to make up their damn minds about if and when school will start. Do not, I repeat, do not make us all drive through crappy weather just to get our kids to school on time, only to decide later that maybe having school wasn't such a good idea after all, and oh, can you come and get your kids. Nothing would delight me more than having, for lack of a better word, a "snow day" where we can sleep late, sip hot cocoa and watch episode after episode of Spongebob and stupid You Tube videos.

Now that I have that off my chest. Let me take a moment to celebrate and thoroughly fawn over my wonderful, awesome boyfriend who brought me these for absolutely no reason at all.


Love you babe!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, which involves the shower update. So DBF's friend came to town, and they ran plumbing lines and framed more, and re-centered the drain. For the sake of time, I will spare you the play-by-play, but while it sounds simple, it actually took almost two full days. This is what we have now.




(Except it is all covered in tarps to keep the cold-ass air from the attic out. I will spare you that view since it isn't very interesting.)

And although I wasn't there to experience it, we apparently also had at one time this.


And this. 

Cough, cough. Hack! 

The good news is that we have these boxes stacked up in the hallway. They are patiently awaiting the tile guys, who are scheduled to arrive on Saturday.

I will keep y'all informed. If I don't freeze to death first.

No comments:

Post a Comment